- Spend the day in service to others. Volunteer with your favorite community organization or non-profit.
- Read some of Dr. King’s writings, like his Call for Economic Justice in The Nation magazine (includes the quote above), or the works mentioned on an episode of WDET’s Detroit Today last week.
- Visit The Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History in Detroit and experience “And Still We Rise,” an exhibit that “offers a comprehensive look at the history of African-American resilience.” Not in Detroit? Check out these lists of museums from Essence magazine and Wikipedia focused on the African American experience.
- Check out these podcast: Hidden in Plain Site, Architecture Is Political, and Code Switch.
- Read about I-375 in Detroit, Bruce Beach in Manhattan Beach, California and other efforts toward social justice. Ponder whether these moves are restorative, reparative, and can close the racial wealth gap.
- Watch Selma (on Hulu), 13TH (on Netflix), and Eyes on the Prize (on HBOMax).
Ford Fireworks 2017: Traffic, Parking & Logistics for June 26th
FROM THE 607 BUILDING MANAGEMENT
As you may know, our cherished downtown, for the last 58 years has a celebration of the beautiful riverfront and a pre-celebration of our national holiday, know as the 4th of July! This year the Ford Freedom Festival aka The Detroit-Windsor International Fireworks, will be celebrated on Monday, June 26th, 2017. Click here for the official City of Detroit Guide regarding parking and road closures. Although the published info says June 27th, the accurate date is Monday, June 26th, 2017. Please see attached to govern yourselves accordingly.
*Please note that because of the early street closures and the anticipated influx of visitors to see the “Fireworks Show”, our shuttle service in the afternoon will be only be operating from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. in hopes of getting you to your car prior to complete street closure at 6 pm. Again, govern yourselves accordingly.
Note: This mLive article states that parking meters will not be enforced after 5 pm, however there will be several street closures. Traffic will flow west on Congress to the Lodge Freeway. Freeways will begin to close at 6 p.m.
Check the Pre-Fireworks event sponsored by CAMBRIA on Monday, June 26, 2017.